So I told you I'm reading Brian McLaren's new book, A New Kind of Christianity, courtesy of viralbloggers. I'll be honest. This is actually the first book I've read of his. I've read a few articles, some excerpts here and there, but the reason I jumped on this book so fast was all the hype surrounding the author.
I've heard the words "heresy" and "controversial" used so very many times regarding McLaren... I had to find out for myself. Now I know I am supposed to be reviewing the book, not the author... But I have to say, while I'm sure I don't necessarily agree 100% with all his conclusions, as a person who asks questions myself, I find myself endeared to McLaren as one not afraid to question.
I picture the author as someone who when asked a question, though he is able to provide many possible answers, may also answer with "I don't know." And that is refreshing.
I have to wonder... Why all the hype? Just an observation from my own experience, but I think that pastors (and I am generalizing here) feel the burden of responsibility to not just shepherd, not just seek Jesus themselves, but to "defend the Faith." And when "The Faith" extends into matters of theology, it becomes dangerous to not have all the answers. What happens if people find out you don't have the answer? What happens if we can't be sure where God stands on important issues? What if The Bible doesn't actually have an answer to every question, every problem, every issue? Now, don't get me wrong and label me a heretic... I believe the Bible has THE answer... Jesus. But what if it doesn't have a black/white, do this/don't do that type of answer to every question?
I love that McLaren is brave in asking these "Ten Questions That Are Transforming The Faith" (Narrative, Authority, God, Jesus, Gospel, Church, Sex, Future, Pluralism, What-Do-We-Do-Now). I think just asking these questions... admitting that as Christians, we don't have all the answers... acknowledging the importance and validity of these questions (and others like them)... I think that's a step in the right direction. To say, Ok, so we don't have it all together, and we refuse to make stuff up or continue to stand on what we know deep down is shaky ground... We're not going to cop out like that anymore... I think to repent like that to the unbelieving world around us really means something. And I think that rather than discrediting us... Christianity (what pastors with "all the answers" are afraid of), not being afraid to ask GIVES credit to God... where credit belongs in the first place.
So thanks Brian McLaren for not being afraid. Thanks for not having all the answers. And thanks for putting it into wonderful, hope-inspired, beautifully thought and written words in your book A New Kind of Christianity. I pray that as a result, the rest of us will allow our hearts to be soft and teachable enough to ask our own questions, even when there are no answers, and continue to stand on the one answerable question, Jesus...
Stuff that breaks my heart
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment