Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Questioning "Christianity"

So with this past week's celebrations, both Biblical and cultural, I've been thinking about the importance of questioning what we accept as truth.  In the past, I've questioned, mainly because I wanted to be right... because I felt that if I was where The Truth was, then I'd have a better chance at God being pleased with me, at being righteous... holy.  

And God laughed... right? LoL.

So I'm past the whole wanting to be right all the time thing (for the most part).  But I still think it's important to question.  For instance... Why do we go to church on Sunday?  Why do we celebrate Christmas and Easter as religious holidays?  Why do we take communion the way we do?  Why do we fold our hands and bow our heads when we pray? 

And a million and one other questions... I don't know.  Perhaps I am the only one who bothers wondering about some of this stuff.  I just think it's freeing to throw stuff off sometimes...  Knowing that some stuff is just... stuff... filler... fun... or even useless!  

Sometimes I wonder if all our baggage is confusing to unbelievers.  If a pagan would wonder why we do things the same why they do... if an intellectual would question what sense some of our traditions make... or if we just kinda make things up as we go along...  

I'm super thankful for the freedom to ask questions.  To not believe everything I hear.  That the important stuff is who God is and what He's done for me and what He empowers me to do.  That we can love people without agreeing with them and that God is so patient with us and always teaching us through His Word and through our brothers and sisters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0 3