Monday, November 23, 2009

Finding Myself.

I am praying something scary.  I have asked God to give me more opportunity to serve others... more opportunity for self-sacrifice.  I know what happens when you pray for this kind of stuff... He answers it with a "yes" because that's who He is.  But I can't be content to just stay.  I need to stretch.  I need to keep growing.

I read this passage this morning:

Matthew 16
24-26Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for?

I am not really a follower kind of person.  I think my initial shyness sometimes gives the wrong impression.  I can be a fierce competitor and a strong leader.  But I try and push that down a lot of times, because it doesn't always bring out the best in me.  I know I can't go wrong if I lead the way Jesus did though.  As one who serves.  I know I can lead that way and not misrepresent Him.  So that's why the scary prayer this morning!

1 comment:

  1. Note: I felt it necessary to tell God that 1am awakenings to find a missing change purse lost in Calista's sleep is not really the "opportunity to serve" I was thinking of. SIGH.

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0 3