So last night at Hub Group we read probably the most boring passage... Well I guess not as bad as the dreaded "beget" monologues... but close. We read about Abram and his people traveling and camping and building altars. Genesis 12:1-8
Things don't always jump out at me... particularly when it is something like a typical account of history... My brain just kind of wanders and before I know it, the story is over, and I've planned dinner for the next 5 nights.
But afterward, we were asked which character we identify with... Far as I can figure there were just Abram, who heard from God, Sarai, his wife, who obviously went with him, his nephew Lot, plus a bunch of people and animals who kind of followed along behind--- we don't really know much about them.
At first I felt kinda crappy for identifying with the follower-people. I mean, that hasn't always worked out beautifully in my life. However, after some really interesting conversation with my husband after Hub Group last night, I think it's actually a good thing under one condition.
I think the key is hearing from God. I have followed blindly before, either ignoring or not hearing from God. I have at times neglected my own responsibility to hear from God and do what He says. I'm getting to the point where I actually think it can be pretty neat to be an effective follower. I say that because look at us! A nation full of individuals, each striving for their own identity, each asserting their own power, each looking out for "numero uno." And what has that done for us? We are scattered, disconnected, isolated, and competitive. Look at our churches... same thing! A bunch of individuals, fighting for their own beliefs, their own ideas, competition, strife... Not cool.
When we follow effectively, we affirm (by our own hearing) what our leaders are hearing from God. We encourage and build up, not divide. And interestingly enough, we also lead others to be good followers, to be respectful, to work as a team, to cooperate... These are important traits that we don't posses as a nation (or a church) of leaders.
So how do you hear?
My best effort has come from spending some time every day, not just reading the Bible and praying, but listening to what God is saying to me through His Word and then responding with action. Sometimes I'm failing. Like responding with my brain and then not getting my body or my mouth to follow through-- like with praying out loud in front of people-- huge fear, sweaty palms, the whole nine yards! But some of the things I've heard God saying to me are changing my life permanently because I'm letting Him overcome my natural inclinations and am acting on what He is saying to me. There is a point where the sometimes monotonous ritual of sitting down and reading and listening... starts to sink in and actually mean something. That's grace. And it gives us the courage to confidently follow because we know His voice.
Stuff that breaks my heart
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment