Thursday, October 8, 2009

Honest and Straightforward

This was yesterday morning's SOAP.  I'm really enjoying this method, by the way.  Very nice to not have to wonder where I am going to read today or trying to digest and respond to the entire several chapters.  It's neat to see how God will just bring out a phrase or verse from a large passage.

Scripture:  Luke 20:21-22
     So they asked him, "Teacher, we know that you're honest and straightforward when you teach, that you don't pander to anyone but teach the way of God accurately..."

Observation:  Now obviously these spies were trying to trap Jesus into teaching something that would get him in trouble.  And I don't know if they were simply flattering him here or what, but I have to believe Jesus had the reputation of being honest and straightforward.  Surely the idea was not new to him.  And his response is exactly that.

Application:  I think it's interesting that this would have been the perfect opportunity for Jesus to "stick it to the man" and tell people not to pay their taxes... I mean, no maybe God's Word didn't exactly say that, but perhaps we could infer something, or stretch something... Jesus was honest and straightforward.  He doesn't add to God's Word.  He doesn't get all bent out of shape about something that's not made a big deal of in scripture.  I need to remember to do that... And I need to pay attention to the teachings I hear and watch for that.

Prayer:  God help me to not put words in your mouth.  Help me to stick to the basics, the things that matter to you.  And help me be discerning, to recognize the difference between your teachings and the teachings of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0 3