Monday, February 15, 2010

Just a Dream...

So I had this dream a few nights ago.  Maybe it's nothing, but I can't stop thinking about it, so I thought maybe it would be good to write it down so I don't forget it.  I have had a couple dreams that were important in the past, one that came true and has unfolded layers of meaning over the span of several years and another that I have to wonder about... So here is the one I had the other night: (and I realize not everybody will realize all context, etc, and that's ok, I just want to get it down on "paper")

I was coming out of a store (where there is none in real life) near the theatre where our church gathers on Sunday mornings.  I had a cart loaded up with really really nice clothes.  All folded neatly, name brands.  I had gotten the whole load of clothing for next to nothing.  They weren't for me.  I was going to a shiny pickup truck in the parking lot to load them up, with the help of a lady who is no longer with our church... in fact I barely recognized her, but I know that's who it was.  She was asking me how the turn-out was for a collection event for the community center.  I told her Not that great... I and one other person had to handle it all because though tons of people from the church showed up, we had so very many projects and programs going on, that there weren't enough people to go around for everything.

On the way over to the truck, I passed 2 people, a man and a woman.  I dream in brilliant color, but these 2 people and everything surrounding them was dull and drab, all shades of gray and tan.  They were both pale and skinny, dressed in old ragged clothes.  The woman was rail thin, but about 8 months pregnant.  She didn't look healthy, but she was pushing a huge cart load of clothing (as was he) over to pile after pile of clothes lined up in the parking lot.  They were loading these torn, dirty, wrinkled clothes into a beat up, rusted old truck.  I knew in the dream that they were people who had made it their life's work and mission to serve others.  They were collecting clothing for the poor and had done so for a long long time.  They were so tired.  The weariness and heaviness around them was almost visible.  I felt silly and shallow chattering on about the goings-on of our church...

Then I woke up.  And I have not been able to get that dream out of my mind.  The moment I opened my eyes, I felt like I wanted to go find those 2 people... and help them.  I felt responsible.  I knew that some things that I know could make life a little easier for them, give them room to breathe a bit.  I felt like I had to make a decision.  I'm still not 100% sure what that decision is.  I know some people don't put stock in dreams.  And I definitely think there are dreams that are just nonsense or our brains' way of working things out.  But I also know from experience that God uses our receptiveness in sleep on occasion to get to us in a way that is only possible when we are so vulnerable.  And honestly, there is just a different quality to the dreams that He gives me... I remember them so clearly.  And they make me want to talk to Him... ask questions... ask So what are You trying to say to me?!?

So anyway, that's all.  Except I did just realize this is the first dream I've had (like this) since entering my "Funk of 2010..."  I'm grateful for it.  He has me thinking and wondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0 3